What is the one staple clothing in India that makes every woman look ethereal? Yes, it is the timeless saree that defines the beauty of the woman. And the best thing about the 6 yards of clothing is that it flatters every body shape and makes a woman look magical.
If you are a saree maniac and love draping the quintessential wear of India, then you would love to know the various types of saree our nation is filled with. From Kashmir to Kanyakumari, each state has its own special touch and we bet you will fall in love with each of them. So without further ado let’s find out the various types of saree in India.
6 Basic Types of Saree Designs Every Woman Should Know
- Half and Half Saree
- Lehenga Saree
- Gown type Saree
- Pre-stitched Saree
- Dupatta Saree
- 3-Piece Saree Set
For centuries half and half saree has been favorite clothing in southern India, but over few years, this fashionable saree has ruled the country and now has become a staple outfit for celebrations.Advertisement
This is a favorite pick of every contemporary bride and comes in gorgeous shades, classy work that instantly brings a royalty to the attire. The best thing about this outfit is that you can style up in unique ways.Advertisement
3. Gown type Saree
This is one of the best innovations of fashion designers, this attire is hassle free and flaunts the curves of your body elegantly. It is a perfect pick for high-end parties, pre-wedding functions and much more.Advertisement
4. Pre-stitched Saree
Are you a newbie in wearing saree? Fret not, try the pre-stitched saree that has readymade pleats that will reduce the burden of how to wear saree and will make your life super easy.
5. Dupatta Saree
This saree is mostly worn by brides, but we feel this is an ideal pick during the winters. Just wrap the dupatta around your neck and bring an innovative look to your traditional saree.
6. 3-Piece Saree Set
Why not bring a diversity to your saree? We bet you will fall in love with the three piece saree sets that ditches the in-skirt and has leggings/pants that add a contemporary look to the saree. It is perfect attire for celebrations.
21 Types of Popular Saree Styles originated from Different States of India
Saree from Northern India
1. Kashmiri Kadai saree from Jammu and Kashmir:
Kashmiri silk sarees have a luxurious look due to the splendid craftsmanship. The floral motifs, border embroidery is the specialty of the Kashmiri kadai saree.
2. Bandhani saree from Rajasthan:
Look nothing but a vibrant doll in this stunning saree from Rajasthan. It is perfect saree for the celebrations, weddings, and festivals.
3. Banarasi saree from Varanasi:
Banarasi sarees are every bride’s dream saree. It is adorned with rich zari and embellishment giving a queenly touch to the saree.
4. Chikankari saree from Lucknow:
You would have worn chikankari salwar suit, now how about chikankari saree? You will look exquisite in them.
5. Kota Doria saree from Rajasthan:
If you get your hands on the pure Kota doria saree then you will never want to stop buying them. They are airy, comfortable and best wear during the summers.
6. Phulkari saree from Punjab:
The catch of this saree is the vibrant pallu that is adorned with rich floral embroidery work that looks unique and beautiful.
Saree from East India
7. Muga silk saree from Assam:
Muga silk sarees are made from special silk saree that give a shiny look to the saree and add a posh look effortlessly.
8. Bhagalpuri saree from Bihar:
Bhagalpuri silk exudes royalty and is perfect for wedding and festivals.
9. Taant saree from West Bengal:
Working women if you want a crisp, power dressing saree, then look no further than the famous Tant saree. They are the best saree to look professional at work.
10. Baluchari saree from West Bengal:
If bright colors are your favorite then you will fall in love with the gorgeous look Baluchari saree that have interesting designs, patterns depicting the Hindu mythologies.
11. Bomkai from Odisha:
This is a nine-yard saree that will make you look spellbound for any occasion.
12. Sambalpuri from Odisha:
Another fabulous saree that reflects the elegance of a woman is the Sambalpuri saree that come in rich colors and patterns.
Saree from South India
13. Konrad saree from Tamilnadu:
This is also called as the temple saree and has regal designs, motifs that are perfect for wedding season.
14. Kancheepuram saree from Tamilnadu:
Love Rekha’s royal sarees? They are all Kanchipuram saree and they have stunning thread work, motifs in gold and silver that are bound to make you look queenly.
15. Poomchai saree from Telangana:
Pochampally sarees have ikat prints that make it super special, for special occasions and is one of the most loved saree of all time.
16. Kasavu saree from Kerala:
The traditional saree hailing from Kerala is one of the favorite saree of women from Kerala. The fusion of white saree with thick golden border makes it special and unique.
17. Mysore silk saree from Karnataka:
Mysore silk sarees are another royal saree that is super light, easy to maintain. The rich golden work, motifs, and designs make it even more spectacular.
Saree from Western India
18. Paithani saree from Maharashtra:
This saree is a specialty from Aurangabad and if you drape this you are sure to bring a royal look. The intricate zari work, peacock motifs on pallu gives a royal touch.
19. Patola saree from Gujarat:
The richness of Patola saree is the double ikat woven pattern that will grab your attention instantly. It belongs to the Patan/ Rajkot area and is one of the best luxurious wear saree.
Saree from Central India
20. Chanderi silk saree from Madhya Pradesh:
Even though it is a silk saree, it is feather light and looks completely posh.
21. Maheshwari saree from Madhya Pradesh:
The uniqueness of the saree is the pallu that has striking stripes in unique colors and colorful border giving a dazzling touch to the saree.
These were the top regional sarees from India. We hope this post helps you to shop easily for the elegant sarees from each region.
- Top Premium (Designer) Saree Brands in India
- How to (or Not to) wear a Saree? Tips and Tricks
- 11 Casual Ways to drape a Saree
- 12 Reasons Why You should Wear a Sari
- 10 Western Saree draping style to Steal from Sonam Kapoor
- 7 Ways to wear a Saree without losing your weight
- Tired of old Saree Drapes? Try 26 Modern Styles No one told you about
- 7 Hilarious Reasons given to every woman to wear a saree after marriage
- Style Tips to look good in Saree at Kitty Party
- 20 Best Saree Brands to Buy Best Designs
Latest posts by Priya Jha (see all)
- 10 Best Men’s Sweatshirt Brands For Next-Level Winter Style - January 12, 2019
- Top 11 Sweaters Brands for Men to Stay Warm in Winter - January 12, 2019
- Top 10 Brands to Buy Anarkali Suits/Kurtis - January 12, 2019