Hey gentlemen, not getting compliments on your suit? Maybe there is something wrong with your suit. Check out the 15 mistakes man make while wearing a suit.
Anyone can put on a suit, but the way they wear it make them different. Wearing a suit in the right way make a man look extremely dapper while a single mistake will ruin overall look. It doesn’t matter whether you wear an expensive suit or inexpensive suit, but the way you wear it matters a lot. Here are 15 mistakes Indian men make in wearing suits, along with tips on how to fix it and look good in a suit.
15 Mistakes Men Make and Should Avoid in Wearing Suits
1. Improper Tie Bar
A tie bar or tie clip is a tiny piece of men’s accessory, but add a lot to the outfit. Have a look at the tie bar guide showing the proper tie bar width and where to clip it.Advertisement
2. Mismatches shoes and suit
Wrong shoes will kill your whole look. You should match color of the shoes perfectly to the color of your suit. Here are the examples to help you what shoes color goes with what suit color.
Recommended Read: 12 Reputed Pioneer Brands who shaped Suit fabric market in India
3. Fastening all buttons
Buttoning all the buttons of your suit jacket looks stiff. Avoid fastening all the buttons. Always keep the bottom button unbuttoned of your jacket. Here is the complete guide showing “Sometimes, Always, Never” button rule.
4. Wrong Tie Selection
So many men wear wrong tie with their outfits. Choosing a shade and/or pattern that complements your shirt & suit is very important. This ultimate guide to matching shirts and ties will surely help you.
Recommended Read: 11 Best Formal Shirts for Men to wear in Summer
5. Matching Ties and Pocket Squares
A pocket square adds masculine charm to your suit, but matching it with your tie is a total faux-pas. Never exactly match your necktie and pocket square in either design or fabric, coordinate them instead.
Recommended Read: Rules of Wearing Skinny Ties in Perfect Way for Men
6. Wrong Belt-Shoes Combination
Yes, gentlemen never do this! Wear a belt that matches your shoes in terms of color and finish. If you opt to wear a brown leather shoes, then it will be best to go for a brown leather belt.
7. Wrong Socks Selection
Wearing socks that are short and not matching with your suit pants is really a bad idea. So next time don’t forget to match/coordinate socks with pant, which should be long enough not to expose your hairy skin while crossing the legs.
Recommended Read: Best 10 Casual Puma Shoes for Men
The accessories or pieces of jewelry are designed to complement the outfit and the look, but overdoing this can become tacky. For example, avoid lapel pin, if you are already wearing tie bar and cufflinks.
9. Wearing backpacks with suits
Another common blunder! A backpack may be comfortable to carry, but wearing it over a formal suit? It can ruin your look. You still be comfortable and look stylish by carrying a sling bag or a leather attaché case.
Recommended Read: A Perfectionist’s Guide to Suit Fitting
10. Sit down without unbuttoning
Never forget to unbutton your suit before sitting down to avoid the risk of ruining it and button popping. It will let you to sit more comfy and prevent creases too.
Recommended Read: How to pick the right groom pants according to your body type?
11. Shirt collar outside suit lapel
Hey man, what’s wrong? Are you wearing a shirt collar outside a suit lapel? Not a smart movement! Don’t try to pop your shirt collar outside your suit lapel.
12. Leaving sleeve tags & vents stitches
This makes you look like an amateur! Before your first wear, unstitch the jacket’s pockets and blazer vents. Also remove the brand label/tag from the jacket’s sleeves. Do it very carefully.
Recommended Read: 8 Fashion Hacks for Men’s Smart Style Statement
13. Cuffing pants and sleeves
Do not fold up your suit jacket sleeves or pant if it is too big or long. It looks very untrendy. Take them to a tailor and get them hemmed according to your height/size.
14. Wearing crew neck undershirt
An undershirt popping out of your dress shirt doesn’t look good. If you are wearing a tee under a dress shirt, then choose to wear a v-neck or deep neck undershirt instead of crew neck.
Recommended Read: 3 Magic Tricks to buy right fit Jeans without trial
15. Choosing a casual belt with a suit
Wearing a casual belt with an awesome suit will ruin your over all look. Avoid wearing Hollister belts or other casual belts with a formal suit.
8 Tips Smart Men always consider while wearing a Suit
- If you have a bit of a bubble butt, then you should go for a single vent. Double vent or no vent is going to suit better if you are short, tall, large or small man.
- Dimpling your tie or not is your choice, but the nicely dimpled tie gives a polished look to your finished look. So it is better to go for the dimple.
- Choose a single-button peak-lapel jacket for a trendy look, double-button for professional look.
- Thin lapels are more stylish while wide lapels are old-fashioned.
- Match your tie knot with your collar size. For example: Big collar = big knot, Small or little collar = Small or little knot.
- A good personality man always keeps his shoes clean and polished, so don’t leave your shoes dirty.
- Make sure that your tie should always be darker than your shirt.
- Do not wear a tie bar with a waistcoat or a cardigan, because the main purpose of tie clip is to hold the tie in place.
Latest posts by Riddhi Patel (see all)
- 9 Times Sunny Leone Gives us Major Saree Draping Goal - October 4, 2017
- 22 Mehendi Photography Ideas You’ll Want Your Photographer to Capture! - September 14, 2017
- 10 Best Kajal Brands to Make your Eyes Look Stunning! - September 13, 2017